Grandma's Bean (Green /Wax) & Potato Soup. Fresh is always best, but beans of quality may be hard to find this time of year. Canned or frozen instead will make a good dish. The optional use of yellow wax beans is an eye-pleaser and provides an interesting taste variation.
Put Green beans in a large pot. Put Bacon Grease in the pot. Separate the Onion slices stir into GreenBeans. You can cook Grandma's Bean (Green /Wax) & Potato Soup using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grandma's Bean (Green /Wax) & Potato Soup
- You need 5-8 of medium potatoes.
- It’s 1/4 cup of onions.
- It’s 2 cans of green beans.
- You need 2 cans of wax beans.
- It’s 1/2 cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of Pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of Seasoned salt.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Garlic salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Basil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Parsley.
- Prepare of Crisco & Flour.
Stirring occasionally and adding water as needed. First, FRESH, steamed grean beans are key! How to Make Creamed Green Beans, Grandma's Recipe. NOTE: If using fresh green beans cook in a small amount of boiling water long enough to bring them to the tender-crisp stage.
Grandma's Bean (Green /Wax) & Potato Soup step by step
- Peel and slice potatoes. Oval shape. 1/4 thickness..
- Add your chopped onions..
- Add seasonings, juice from your cans of beans and water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium..
- Add your ketchup. (I use spicy ketchup because I like a little spice to it). Stir. You can add more or less depending on how you like the taste..
- When potatoes are soft, add your green beans and wax beans..
- In a small sauce pan, melt a few tablespoons of crisco, then add enough flour to soak it all up. Stir until golden brown- then add to soup. Stir well. It should turn your soup more brown than red, it will also thicken the liquid..
- Taste. If you feel you need more seasoning, add it. Otherwise it's ready to eat!.
- I often finish the cook in a crock pot once the potatoes are begining to get soft, so that's up to you. This was something my grandmother always made growing up..
Drain and use as other beans in the following recipe. RECIPE: In a saucepan over medium heat combine butter, flour, and salt and pepper.. Green bean casserole is a savory holiday side dish with all kinds of big and delicious flavors, and it's totally easy to make day of or ahead of time!. Made these as a side for pulled pork. I also added a splash of bourbon with the brown sugar and vinegar.