Potato Skins. Brush or rub olive oil all over the potato skins, outside and in. Place on a baking rack in a roasting pan (don't use a cookie sheet, it will warp, use a roasting pan or broiler pan that can take the heat). This is definitely my new way for potato skins.
Using tongs, turn the potatoes over and continue to bake until the edges of the potatoes start to turn golden brown. Sprinkle the insides of the potato skins with cheddar, then sprinkle on the chopped bacon. Potato skins have always been a favorite of ours but this was the first time I ever made them at home. You can cook Potato Skins using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Potato Skins
- Prepare of Potatoes.
- You need of Oil for frying.
- You need of Shredded cheese(I like to do a mix of cheeses, use what you like, or have on hand).
- Prepare of Cooked crushed bacon or bacon bits.
- You need of Sour cream.
- You need of Chives/ green onions.
This is a great recipe as written but I played with it just a little and was CRAZY happy with the result. Brush both sides of skins with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. These homemade potato skins are so simple to make and come together so quickly for your next dinner or party. Make the perfect side dish with all the flavor and watch them disappear quicker than you made them.
Potato Skins instructions
- Take whatever potatoes you want to use and wash them up, (Will be cutting potatoes in half so one potato will make two potato skins).
- Poke potatoes with a fork, and bake the potatoes until done….
- Cut potatoes in half, let cool off, until you can touch them without burning yourself…(notice my fork marks I made, is also where I will be cutting them in half at.).
- Scoop out the middle of the potatoes, make sure you leave some on the edges and don’t go all the way down to the skin..
- Freeze all potatoes must be frozen before frying them.(make sure none of them are touching).
- When ready to cook pre heat oil and you will be baking these in the oven on boil for a few mins so if you want to pre heat the oven too… (if you don’t like using the boiler can set on 350 bake until cheese is melted).
- Fry all the potatoes skins, till golden brown, or as crunchy as you like, may need to flip them over in the oil and move them around, don’t overcrowd the pot, cook in batches, drain off oil when removing from oil and place on paper towels/ coffee filters or wire rack (make sure when place the skins side is facing up, does no good it’s sitting on the skin like a boat to holding the oil).
- After all potatoes are fried to your liking, add the cheese, place them on a cookie sheet, bake or boil in oven until cheese has melted.
- Latest step, top skins with sour cream, cooked bacon crumbs/ bacon bits, and green onion/ chives top with some more cheese….
- Notes- Do whatever with the potatoes after scooping them out, don’t waste it.. I topped it with butter 🧈 salt pepper, and sour cream, for my kids, I have one that doesn’t do sour cream… kids are always wanting to eat lol. I have even made a small amount of mashed potatoes, for when I made these ahead of time and I use the mashed potatoes for dinner that night… it’s a win win and no waste..
Can Potato Skins Be Made Ahead of Time. If I am making a recipe that needs cooked potatoes (like Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes or Twice Baked Potato Casserole) I simply bake the potatoes and scoop out the flesh. Freeze the empty shells on a baking pan and then once frozen, stack them in a freezer bag. Scoop the mixture inside the potato skins. Check on them to make sure that the cheddar cheese doesn't burn.