Candied Sweet Potatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir.
And because there's no baking or roasting required for these boiled sweet potatoes, you don't even need to pull out the vegetable peeler for this recipe—the skins will slip right off as. Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut into wedges. You can have Candied Sweet Potatoes using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Candied Sweet Potatoes
- You need 5 of medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2" rounds.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, sliced in half.
- It’s 1 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup.
- It’s 2 tbsp of water.
- You need 3/4 tsp. of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.
Put in a large pot of lightly salted water. Brush a medium baking dish with butter. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium. Whisk in the brown sugar, apple cider, bourbon if using, and cinnamon.
Candied Sweet Potatoes instructions
- Place the sliced potatoes into a greased 9×13" baking pan and sprinkle the salt over them. Toss to coat and preheat the oven to 375°F. In a small saucepan, place the remaining ingredients except for the vanilla over medium-high heat and stir until the butter has melted and its come to a low boil..
- Let it boil, undisturbed, for 2 minutes, then remove it from the heat, stir in the vanilla and pour it evenly over the potatoes. Give them a toss, then place them into the oven for a total time of 1 hour. After the first 20 minutes, take them out, give them a stir and cover the pan with foil for the remaining baking time. Take them out to stir again at the 40 minute mark..
- Once the hour is up, the potatoes should be very tender. The sauce will seem very thin, but will thicken as they cool. Let them cool uncovered for 10 or so minutes, then serve..
Candied Sweet Potatoes are just that, sweet and tender, juicy, bright orange sweet potatoes that will warm your home and melt in your mouth! Sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish this holiday season! If you love sweet potatoes as much as I do try this Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Honey Cinnamon Butter Sweet Potatoes or The Best Sweet Potato Casserole. How to Make Candied Sweet Potatoes. Let me quickly break down the steps before leaving you with the recipe.