Poor Man's Cajun Potatoes. Here is how you cook it. Add the green pepper, garlic and onion and give everything a good stir. The first time we tried papas a lo pobre, which translates into "poor man's potatoes," it was part of a menu del día with a strip steak and a fried egg.
In medium casserole dish place potatoes. On top of potatoes, place onion slices. Pour in chicken broth making sure it covers everything in casserole dish. You can have Poor Man's Cajun Potatoes using 4 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Poor Man's Cajun Potatoes
- Prepare 4 of Red Potatoes.
- You need 3-4 of Hot dogs.
- You need of Old Bay seasoning.
- Prepare of Water.
Patatas a lo Pobre, Poor Man's Potatoes, is a traditional Spanish dish that can be found on many a tapas menu. Originating in medieval Spain, the dish is made up of inexpensive ingredients – potatoes, onions and peppers – making it affordable for the poorer masses. Thus the name, "poor man's potatoes". Poor Man´s Potatoes (known as Patatas a lo Pobre in Spain) were born during the medieval era of Spain, where the majority of the people were poor (unless they were royalty).
Poor Man's Cajun Potatoes step by step
- Wash then cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks..
- Place the potatoes in a standard (3-4 quart) pot, and fill with water until just covered..
- Add Old Bay seasoning until liquid is thoroughly saturated..
- Bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are fork tender..
- Dice hot dogs into small pieces, and add to a heated sautee pan..
- Once the hot dogs have good color, add potatoes to pan with little or no liquid, and continue to sautee.
- Once potatoes begin taking on color, add half of your cooking liquid to the pan..
- Cook until reduced by half or completely absorbed..
The only ingredients most people could afford were the cheapest ones….potatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc. Now, in modern Spain, this recipe is popping up everywhere. Sprinkle paprika over onion mixture, then layer over potato and pour in stock. Or cook some mushrooms with butter, garlic and onion powder and toss them in the gravy. In a large bowl, combine water, cracker crumbs and salt; add beef and mix well.