Ham and Potato Soup. Delicious Ham and Potato Soup Delicious Ham and Potato Soup. With a potato masher, mash the soup a few times, leaving plenty of whole chunks of potato. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add cayenne if desired, and add cream.
Be careful not to scorch; Cook slowly until heated. If you need to thicken this soup you can add some instant. Ham soup filled to the brim with soft, tender potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and the option of making your own ham broth from a leftover ham bone! You can have Ham and Potato Soup using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ham and Potato Soup
- You need 10-12 lbs of ham.
- You need 1 of whole onion, peeled.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 2 cups of chopped onion.
- You need 2 lbs of carrots sliced.
- You need 8 stalks of celery sliced.
- You need 5 lbs of red potatoes (1.5 in cubes, NOT peeled).
- You need 2 cups of 2% milk.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of onion powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika.
- You need 1 tbs of dried parsley.
- Prepare 1 tbs of real horseradish.
- You need of Rough.
- You need 1 1/2 sticks of butter.
- It’s 2 cups of flour.
Even picky eaters fall in love with this ham and potato soup recipe! A delicious soup made with potatoes and a leftover ham bone. Perfect for a cold winters night supper and easy to make. This Cheesy Potato and Ham Soup recipe is by far, one of our family's favorite meals.
Ham and Potato Soup instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook ham for 1.5-2 hours. Let stand 30 minutes. Slice ham best you can leaving about 2 cups of meat on the bone..
- Place bone in a large stock pot, add in enough water until it covers the bone. Add 1 whole onion and 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1.5 hours..
- Take out ham bone and whole onion. Add in chopped onions, sliced carrots, and sliced celery. Simmer for 25 minutes..
- Add in potatoes, simmer for 35 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. To help break up potatoes smash is the back of a large spoon or whisk..
- Add in milk, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, parsley, and real horseradish..
- In a small sauce pan melt butter on medium high heat. Add in flour and stir constantly until consistency of wet sand..
- Once the soup comes back to a low boil, whisk in rough. Mix occasionally for the next 10 minutes and enjoy!.
In fact, whenever I ask our adult children what they would like for dinner, they always request either Drunken Chicken or this potato soup. A bowl of Cheesy Potato & Ham Soup topped with shredded cheese, green onions and bacon bits. Ham and Potato Soup is a cool weather staple around here and it's easy to make in the crock pot and perfect for any leftover baked ham! A simple and delicious soup loaded with potatoes, sweet carrots and tender ham cooks in the slow cooker all day so dinner is ready when you are. In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil.