Momma’s Tater Salad. I also like the fact that you can serve it year-round, not just at a holiday dinner. We eat this during summer picnics, at Thanksgiving, and any other time we feel like it. That's what makes it the perfect side dish.
Try it and see if it isn't one of the best-tasting potato salads you have ever eaten! —Sandra Anderson, New York, New York My mom's mustard potato salad is a simple recipe, made with just a few ingredients and just the right amount of mustard to make it tangy and delicious, but not overpowering. It's also got dill pickles (never sweet pickles) for a little salty-sour flavor. Actually her recipe is not a recipe it all. You can have Momma’s Tater Salad using 13 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Momma’s Tater Salad
- Prepare of About 4 medium potatoes or 2# red potatoes.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of your favorite mayonnaise (give or take on how you like).
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of yellow or Dijon mustard.
- It’s 1/2 of red onion chopped fine.
- You need 1/2 of sweet onion chopped fine.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (or to taste).
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika (or regular if you’re out).
- It’s 20 of (or so) slice dill (or favorite) pickle chopped.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of (3ish for me) pickle juice.
- It’s 4 of boil eggs chopped.
- It’s 3 of celery stalks chopped fine.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder.
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder.
I make potato salad quite often and have a tip–If you have a wide pot and a large steamer basket, you can cook your potatoes and eggs for potato salad at the same time. I chop the celery, pickles, and whatever else I want to add to the salad while the potatoes and eggs are cooking. It's the best of both worlds! We love the flavor from the red onions and celery.
Momma’s Tater Salad step by step
- Chop potatoes bite size, boil with teaspoon salt until fork tender, not mushy.
- In a bowl add chopped eggs, celery,onions, pickles, mix, add pepper paprika, garlic and onion powder, fold in mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard.
- After potatoes are done drain and cool when cool put in big bowl and fold in mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle paprika on top and chill couple hours or over night.
The dressing is slightly sweet and tangy at the same there. Crisp bacon adds savoriness and flavor to the potato salad. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Mom's Classic Potato Salad is an old family favorite, and a summer cook out side dish staple. Creamy, mix-in FREE, and just right!